“Dal Giardino Mushroom Rice with Mushrooms is great on its own, but you can also use it as an ingredient in...
Ingredients 2 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled butternut squash 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided 5-6 tablespoons butter, divided ¾ cup finely chopped leek (white and pale green parts only) 1½ pounds fresh mushrooms (shitake, cremini, hen of the woods, or chanterelles) 1¼ cup uncooked Arborio rice ¼ cup dry white wine 7 cups (approximately) vegetable or chicken broth (preferably homemade) ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving (optional) 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley sea salt fresh ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place squash on baking sheet, drizzle with 1½ tablespoon olive oil and ¼
teaspoon salt. Arrange in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and
tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ¼
mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Sauté mushrooms until tender and just beginning to brown, 3 to
4 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a medium bowl. Working in batches, repeat with the remaining
mushrooms, until all the mushrooms are sautéed.
4. Bring 7 cups of the chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep
5. Melt the remaining 1½ tablespoons butter and 1½ olive oil in a large heavy
saucepan over medium-low heat.
6. Add leeks, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and saute until tender, 4 to 5
7. Add rice and increase heat to medium.
8. Stir until the edges of the rice begin to look translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add white wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
10. Add ¾ cup of warm chicken broth; stir until most of the broth is absorbed,
about 3 minutes.
11. Continue adding the broth by ¾ cups, stirring until most of the broth is
absorbed before adding more until the rice is tender but firm to bite and the risotto is creamy,
30 minutes total.
12. Add mushrooms, pumpkin, parsley, ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1
13. Stir gently to mix well. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
14. Transfer the risotto to a bowl and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.